Monday, 22 February 2016

Toddler vs Newborn - Tips from a Pro with Teacher Types

Do you have a toddler? Do you also have a newborn or are expecting to expand your family soon? This week I talked to Lauren Hunt, Early Years Teacher and blogger from Teacher Types who just had a beautiful little baby boy. She also has a threenager! Here is how she managed the needs of a newborn while keeping her toddler entertained.

If you want to find out more about Lauren and her blog, you can find her on her blog or on Instagram or Facebook.  

Tell us about you and your blog!

Hi! I'm Lauren, mummy + teacher blogger at Teacher Types from Adelaide SA. I have an (almost) 3 year old daughter and a 1 month old baby boy. So life is pretty busy! I'm on maternity leave from teaching, but have always taught the early years of school - for the past 10 years now! My blog Teacher Types started out just as a hobby two years ago, but has grown into so much more. I've met and collaborated with some fantastic people - and sitting at my lap top tippy typing away is one of my favourite things to do when I have 'me time'.

You've just had a new baby, how did you help your toddler get used to the idea of having a newborn around?

She did really well!! We did as much as we could to prepare her. In the hospital she had her own 'big sister bag' of special things and activities, she coped well with all of the different babysitters she had over that week, and she absolutely adores her brother and just wants to touch and hold him all the time! Thankfully we haven't seen any jealously or negative feelings towards him. I feel like she's grown a whole year in just a month, she's so independent - big girl bed, toilet training & dummy free.

What are your top tips for entertaining a toddler so you can focus on the needs of a newborn?

The key here is keeping things new, interesting and exciting. A few minutes spent tidying up and putting out some new toys and activities can work wonders for the toddler (Miss M has started asking me "what did you put out for me today mummy?") I also find it helps if you rotate their toys so that not everything is always out - they can get overwhelmed with choice. A special toy box or new tub of play dough can be handy when you're busy feeding - and also setting clear boundaries ("don't climb over mummy when she's feeding"). Oh and always keep the remote control within reach!!

What are you favourite activities for young toddlers?



Here are my top 4!

- Colour Sorting (the cute little tubs are from Howards Storage World)
- Rainbow Rice (click here to learn how to make it - there is a secret ingredient you wouldn't expect!)
- Small World Play (this one is for the well known story 'We're Going on a Bear Hunt')
- Straw Play (so simple but keeps them busy!)

Being an Early Years Teacher, how do you see play contributing to children's development?

"Play is the work of the child" - Maria Montessori.

Play is the way that children make sense of the world around them. They act out familiar situations and scenarios in order to process the world around them. Playing with dolls, in a play kitchen, talking to their teddies are all examples of this. So much learning happens when they play! Construction with blocks, exploring nature, being physically active... Never think that a child is "just playing". It's so much more!

---------------------------------------------------------------

xo

Linking with:
The Ultimate Rabbit Hole
Essentially Jess

8 comments:

  1. Great post. It's so much fun with a baby and a toddler. I have an 18 month old and a nearly 4 year old and it's been very interesting watching them learn to be with each other. Play is so important, and I love seeing the different ways they go about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that straw play activity looks fabulous! We have one of those metal jars for our stationery. I'm pretty sure have straws too. My 3yo would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of the straw activity, great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the small world play. That appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for featuring me Lu! It's always lovely to appear on another blog. Hope you liked the activity ideas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should definitely do small world play with stories from books. Will have to put my thinking cap on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toddler and a newborn, its such a tough time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colour sorting is such a good activity for that age group. You can colour sort pretty much anything too!

    ReplyDelete